Everyone has flammable materials and liquids lying around their house. Some you may know about and some you may not. Many common household items contain flammable contents. It is important to know which items in your house would be dangerous next to a flame. There are also much less common substances that are EXTREMELY flammable. You are a lot less likely to come across such substances. Due to how extreme they are, we thought it best to inform you of one such substance. Flammable or combustible liquids are responsible for more than 43,000 home fires each year. These fires result in 200 deaths and 2,500 injuries (not to mention $469 million in property damage) according to the NFPA. Precautions must be taken. All flammable or combustible items must carry a precautionary label. This is required by the Federal Hazardous Substances Act. That doesn’t mean you can throw caution to the wind. Here are five common and one uncommon flammable substances.
Lighter Fluid: If you own a grill, odds are you have lighter fluid. It’s common knowledge that lighter fluid is highly flammable. That doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be extra careful when using it. Don’t use more than absolutely necessary. That’s just an easy way to create an out-of-control fire. Remember to douse the coals in lighter fluid BEFORE lighting them and not after.
Nail Polish Remover: Nail polish remover contains acetone, which is highly flammable. It’s rare but not unheard of to start an accidental fire with nail polish remover. It is not as dangerous as other substances on this list due to the small amount in a container. You’re better safe than sorry.
Aerosol: Aerosol cans can explode when overheated. It’s definitely best to store them away from heat sources. A puncture can cause them to explode as well. Generally, a flammable propellant is used in aerosol spray cans, like propane or butane. Never spray aerosol near an open flame.
Flammable Fabrics: Cotton, cotton/polyester blends, acrylic, and rayon are highly flammable fabrics. They are generally more combustible than nylon, wool, silk, and one-hundred percent polyester. The weave also determines the flammability. Heavier, closed weaves are less combustible than fine threads with open weaves.
Rubbing Alcohol: According to the EPA, many house fires started when people poured rubbing alcohol to get rid of bedbugs. Rubbing alcohol is highly flammable as is all alcohol, and it vaporizes quickly. Be sure to remember that, next time you have a bedbug problem.
Chlorine Triflouride: This substance is so flammable that even the Nazis refused to work with it. This substance is said to have burned through 12 inches of concrete and a meter of sand and gravel before extinguishing. Stay away from this substance, period.
There are plenty more substances that you may come across on a daily basis that are quite flammable. They shouldn’t be used near a flame or stored near intense heat. Here are just a few we left off this list: gasoline, antifreeze, motor oil, WD-40, silly string, black shoe polish, hair care products, massage oils and even ping pong balls. Be wary of using these items when a flame is nearby. Are there any more flammable items you would add to this list? Have you accidentally started a fire with one of these? Sound off in the comments below.